About This Clip
Metal Macbeth is the first Shakespeare work by Gekidan☆Shinkansen. “Macbeth” performed on heavy metal sounds was the birth of a new kind of “Macbeth”. Kankuro Kudo, the most sought-after and up-and-coming writer in Japan, has done the adaptation. With his contemporary sensibility, he has transformed the Shakespeare’s dialogue-rich masterpiece into a song-driven story.
“A metal band in the 80’s and a Mad Max-like near future intermingle in an eye-opening “New Macbeth”! In the year 2206, after innumerable slayings and destructions, a heath littered with dead bodies and rubble was left. Three eerie witches manifest themselves in front of an invincible General Randomstar that ESP Kingdom is proud of. They leave a prophecy saying, “All of your future is scripted in this compact disc”. It was a CD made by a heavy metal band named “Metal Macbeth” whose prime was in the 80s”.
Masaaki Uchino, Takako Matsu, Mirai Moriyama, Yukiya Kitamura, Jun Hashimoto, Shoko Takada, Macoto Awane, and Tsunehiko Kamijo
Director – Hidenori Inoue
Writer – Kankuro Kudo
For more information about the stage performance in 2006, visit Gekidan☆Shinkansen.
For more information about the filmed performance shown in theaters in 2007, visit GEKIxCINE, IMDb, and TBS (Tokyo Broadcasting System).
- La tragedia de Macbeth (The Tragedy of Macbeth) (Amalio López, Pedro; 1966)
- Macbeth (Kurita, Yoshihiro; 2006)
- Macbeth Mutfakta (Macbeth in the Kitchen) (Tamdoğan, Burak; 2013)
- Macbeth, herói bandido (Macbeth, the Bandit-Hero) (Fagundes, Patricia; 2004)
- Macbeth/İki Kişilik Kâbus (Macbeth/A Nightmare for Two) (Aydın, Elif; 2016)