About This Clip
In 2016 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of William Shakespeare’s death, the Chong Qing Theatre Company staged a new experimental production of the tragic play Macbeth. This adaptation written by Cai Fujun from the Art Institute of Fu Jian Province features only three performers, and the setting is a slaughterhouse which includes a pool of water in the center surrounded by a raised platform and thick chains hanging from the ceiling. Macbeth is played by a woman while Lady Macbeth is played by a man. However, their roles are reversed twice over the course of the play. A third actor plays the roles of Banquo, Macduff, and Fleance. The three witches do not appear on stage, but their voices are heard delivering the prophesies. The deaths of Duncan and Macbeth are represented by the running of electric saws with sparks flying.
Macbeth & Lady Macbeth: Yi Wang
Lady Macbeth & Macbeth: Yi Ding
Banquo / Macduff / Fleance: Tao Geng
Director: Chen Dalian
Script writer: Cai Fujun
Stage design: Ma LianQing
Reviewing Shakespeare – Reviewed by Dr. Yu Sun.
(Production notes provided by Dr. Yu Sun, College of Foreign Languages and Cultures of Xia Men University, China. Her academic interest focuses on Shakespearean studies and comparative literature.)
- La tragedia de Macbeth (The Tragedy of Macbeth) (Amalio López, Pedro; 1966)
- Macbeth (Perng, Ching-hsi)
- Macbeth Mutfakta (Macbeth in the Kitchen) (Tamdoğan, Burak; 2013)
- Macbeth, herói bandido (Macbeth, the Bandit-Hero) (Fagundes, Patricia; 2004)
- Macbeth/İki Kişilik Kâbus (Macbeth/A Nightmare for Two) (Aydın, Elif; 2016)